Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When was the last time you gave your testimony?

I posted this on my facebook profile. I haven't had any takers yet but I am hopeful. Perhaps you would consider giving your testimony.

We talk about a lot of things here on FB, but I would like for those of you who name the name of Christ to take the time this week to post your personal testimony. How did you come to the personal knowledge of Jesus Christ as your Savior?

Sometimes we underestimate the value of our testimony. We shouldn't. The Apostle Paul, when he stood before King Agrippa, chose not to give some doctrinal disertation, but chose to give his personal testimony to the unregenerated King. If it was good enough for the Apostle Paul, then why shouldn't it be for us.

I'm not going to "TAG" anyone. This is completely voluntary. It doesn't have to be a book. Just give the basic story of how you came to know Christ. If you choose to take the time and give your testimony I will make sure that I repost it on my profile, and everyone else who wants to could do the same. There is no telling how far your testimony may go and no telling who it will reach. Please consider spreading the good news of God's Grace in your life. I will start.


I give God all the glory because I have lived a priviledged life. No I didn't grow up in wealthy family, but I had a dad and mom who both knew the Lord. I grew up going to church and hearing the Bible preached. Because of that, I have had a knowledge of the Bible and the things of God from a young age. That can be a danger, however, because head knowledge of Christ or about God is not enough. There must be a personal relationship with Christ.

I grew up thinking that I was a Christian. I went to church, Chirstian School, and hung around Christian people all my life. I could quote some Scripture verses and even give you the "plan" of salvation if asked. I thought I was certainly a Christian.

However, there were certain events that took place in my life where I can now see that the Holy Spirit was working on my soul. One time an evangelist at church came into our Sunday School room to introduce himself. His name was Jim God. I always thought his name was strange but I know he didn't choose it. Anyway, he came into our class and he asked us a question. "Are you afraid of dying and going to hell?" We didn't answer out loud -- just to ourselves. My initial response was, "yeah, that would be terrible." After allowing us the chance to answer in our hearts, he said this. "If you answered "Yes" then you may not be a Christian, because a Christian has no fear of hell. If you are saved and you know it, hell is not a worry." This caused me to take a step back and look at my salvation, but I didn't do anything about it then.

Another time, about a year later, I was asked to give my testimony in a school chapel service. This created a problem. Mainly -- I didn't have a testimony. I did what any "smart" kid would do -- I made one up. No one noticed, no one except me and the Holy Spirit. Again, I didn't do any thing about it at the time. I wasn't quite sure what to do. I had thought I was saved. Everyone around me thought I was saved, but in my heart I knew I wasn't truly a child of God.

I struggled with the Christian life. I was baptized again. I rededicated my life etc ... It's hard enough living the Christian life as a Christian, but when you're just pretending it's even harder.

Finally, on a Wednesday night service, at Harbor Baptist Temple in Surfside Beach, SC. my dad, who was my pastor as well, preached a message on Proverbs 1:7. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. I don't remember the exact message he preached, but I remember the message the Holy Spirit preached to me that evening. I realized that I had never really seen God for who He is. I realized for the first time that I, Peter Scheer, Jr., was a sinner headed for hell. This was all information that I knew in my head, but it was the first time it was personal.

There was no more hesitation for me. I knew I had to come clean with God, and myself. That night at church I trusted the Lord as my Savior. The President of the United States didn't know who I was. The Governor of SC didn't know I existed, but the God of Heaven took the time to speak to an eleven year old boys heart and show me I needed to be saved. I've not been the same since.

The story doesn't stop there. That was just the beginning of the great work the Lord has done for me and in me. I am so glad God saves young and old sinners!

To God be the Glory great things He has done.

I hope this will be a blessing to all of you, and for those of you who read this who may not know the Lord as your personal Savior, please don't hesitate to message me or write me or call me I'd love to talk with you.

The greatest thing in the world to know is to know for sure that when you die you are going to Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment